Everything you need
to know about turning ideas
into groundbreaking innovation
Hadassah Inventor's Guide
Industrial design rights
Patents are the main type of IP produced in Hadassah medical center by employees and students. According to section 132 (a) of Israeli patent law all these patents are Hadassah property.
How to protect
An invention is entitled to a patent only if it was not publicly disclosed prior to filing of a patent application.
The “Do’s” and “Don’ts” of protecting you invention are:
- Do not publicly disclose your invention/idea! Public disclosure includes: Scientific manuscripts, Conferences, presentations, discussions with companies and etc.
- Your own public disclosure can be cited against you during the prosecution of the patent.
- Patents are complicated legal documents, and each word should be carefully considered – Hadasit’s IP experts will make sure your invention is properly protected.
The process for
IP protection &
- A meeting with Hadasit’s team that includes IP and BD (business development) experts to initiate the process.
- Completion of Disclosure of Invention (DOI) form by the inventor reciting the main features of the invention and the inventors,
- Hadasit Presentation of the technology/invention to Hadassah’s patent committee for Go/NoGo decision on filing the patent application.
- Drafting, filing and later maintenance of patent applications.
- New patent applications will be tied with obligations of the inventors to perform 1-year research plan that will allow the support of the patent claims towards the first year milestone of international (PCT) application.